Joint Ventures, Mergers & Acquisitions
Because of our consistently high volume of complex transactional engagements, our M&A and Joint Venture team has developed a broad vision of the issues that confront business organizations and an aptitude for developing novel, creative and constructive solutions in relation to mergers and acquisitions.
Offering an extensive service in all commercial contracts in a regulatory environment, the team interfaces extensively with our firm’s specialist industry and business teams.
By combining financial, taxation, competition, regulatory and employment law expertise, the firm has become known for its value-generating role in corporate restructuring and commercial contracts.
The employee and labour law aspects of such restructurings are addressed at the outset, minimising risk and ensuring proper management of these resources. Our mergers and acquisitions practice also encompasses many medium-sized and smaller transactions, including those for emerging technology companies.
Competition law issues arising in M&A transactions can often be deal-breaking. Achieving competition clearances in significant cases may call for complex and high profile dialogue with competition regulators within tight timetables. Our lawyers have extensive experience dealing with the competition authority in Kenya.
Our speciality services include:
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Schemes of arrangement
- Corporate restructuring
- Management buy-outs
- Company sales and purchase
- Due diligence investigations
- The statutory and regulatory environment affecting listed public and other companies
- The duties and responsibilities of directors and their officers
Our willingness and ability to understand our clients’ businesses and the markets where they operate, coupled with our considerable expertise in putting a client’s case to the authorities, sets us apart.
- Acted on the acquisition of I&M Bank Limited by City Trust Limited, a company listed on the Nairobi Securities Exchange; regulatory and transactional advice; offer and other take-over documentation.
- Acted as transaction adviser in the re-structuring of Wananchi Group interests in East Africa into Mauritian investment holding company.
- We were the local counsel to Toyota Tsusho Corporation (TTC) in connection with the Euro 2.3 billion global acquisition of the CFAO group of companies from Pinault Printemps Redoute Group (2012). We are currently engaged in the local anti-trust filings.
- We acted in a Joint Venture between leading JSE listed brand company Woolworths and Deacons Kenya Limited which included Joint Venture documentation, regulatory compliance etc
- Acted as Kenyan Counsel to Puma Energy LLC in the proposed acquisition of KenolKobil Limited (regional oil marketer listed on the Nairobi Securities Exchange).
- We acted for L’Oreal on a multimillion USD acquisition of one Kenya’s largest beauty products manufacture.
- Acted as legal adviser to TransCentury (the acquirer) in a proposed acquisition of minority shareholding in East African Cables, by way of a share swap. This entailed full regulatory compliance and transactional advisory.
- Represented Kenyan listed TPS EA in connection with the acquisition of the Serena Kampala Hotel by way of a share exchange.
- We represented Woolworths in the Joint Venture between leading JSE listed brand company Woolworths and Deacons Kenya Limited.
- We represented Puma Energy LLC in its proposed acquisition of KenolKobil Limited, a company with regional interests listed on the Nairobi Securities Exchange.
- We acted for Serena Hotels on a USD 40 million acquisition of the Movenpick Royal Palms Hotel in Tanzania.
- We acted for Tiger Brands (SA) in its multi-million dollar FMCG acquisition in Ethiopia.
- We acted for Aramex International Limited in the acquisition of a Kenya international courier operating company and a local loop courier operating company.
- We acted for CFC Bank Limited on the merger of CFC Bank Group with Stanbic Bank Kenya Limited – Kenya’s largest bank merger.
- We advised Aureos Fund Managers on their venture capital investment in Primefuels Holdings Limited.
- We acted for The Shell Petroleum Co Limited in its acquisition of BP Africa’s businesses in Kenya.
- We acted as Kenyan Counsel to James Finlay on the purchase of Flamingo Holdings Limited with 11 subsidiaries in Kenya.
- We advised Johnnic Communications of South Africa on its shareholder arrangements in Kenya and handled a post-transaction re-organisation for their Kenya business – Nu-Metro Cinemas.
- We acted for Hilton International on the sale of its interests in Taita Salt Lick Lodge.
- We were Kenya counsel for the acquisition by Kingdom Hotel Investments. Acquisition of the Lonrho Hotels B.V. chain of hotels and lodges in Kenya, on behalf of Fairmont Hotels Inc.
- On behalf of the investors (AKFED, IFC and CDC Group plc) we handled the corporate re-structuring of the hotels and lodges business of Serena Hotels in Tanzania and Zanzibar to bring it under the control of the Kenyan holding company for Tourism Promotion Services Limited, in order to create an East African regional group