Kaplan & Stratton is highly regarded for its distinction, wide experience and resourcefulness. We have a strong reputation for working on the most difficult, demanding and innovative deals and we aim to provide the highest quality of service to all types of clients, including financial institutions, corporates and other organisations.
We act for many leading international corporates, and support them in all their financing transactions, making us preferred advisers to several corporate borrowers and issuers. We also work for major financial institutions on their most demanding transactions or those that require innovative instruments or structures.
Our areas of specialisation include:
- Structured products, including arrangements designed to meet specific tax, accounting or regulatory objectives
- Leasing and asset finance for aircraft and other capital assets
- Acquisition and leveraged financing, including senior, mezzanine and subordinated debt and high yield bonds
- Derivatives of various types and forms, including interest rate, currency, credit, equity, commodity, insurance and other swaps and options, repos and stock lending
- Project finance in a variety of sectors
- Loan finance of all kinds
- Acting in an ongoing due diligence for equity investors Lake Turkana Wind Power project.
- Acted for Orpower in a USD 310 million refinancing by OPIC for the expansion of the geothermal project in Olkaria.
- Conducted due diligence on behalf of prospective financiers for Kinangop Wind Park.
- Acted in the issue of up to Shs.9,500,000,000 medium term notes between Celtel Kenya Limited (Zain Group) and Standard Bank London Limited.
- We acted as local counsel to IFC in connection with its equity investment into Gulf African Bank.
- Acted for Poparco and Norfund in its Equity and debt investment of USD 4,900,000 in TPS D.
- Acted in the financing of CfC Stanbic Bank Limited and Co-operative Bank of Kenya Limited through a USD 39 million line of credit for onward lending to renewable and energy efficiency projects coupled with a grant to Kenya Association of Manufacturers for technical assistance for such projects.
- Acted in the financing of a company providing solar-powered residential charging systems through a USD 2 million term loan facility that was structured over M-Pesa accounts.
- Acted for IFC in the financing of Kenya Commercial Bank in USD 100 million financing for lending operations to small and medium enterprises.
- Acted in the financing of Kenya Airports Authority through a USD 93,000,000 project financing for airport expansion.
- We advised African Agricultural Capital on the implementation of small to medium scale equity funds and loans for the agricultural sector.
- We acted for CFC Bank Limited on its 1 for 12 rights issue and its KES 800 million Floating Rate Tier II Note Programme.
- Acted for East African Development Bank on its medium term note issue listed on the Nairobi Stock Exchange.