- Law Society of Kenya
- International Trade Mark Association (INTA)
- Advocate – High court of Kenya
- Advanced certifications in Intellectual Property Laws – WIPO Academy, Geneva
- Kenya School of Law – Bar Qualifying Examinations
- University of Nairobi, Kenya: LLB. Hons.
Patrick Ikimire qualified as a Kenya Advocate in 1995 and joined Kaplan & Stratton the same year. He specializes in intellectual property law, industrial property law, image rights, domain names, seeds and plant breeder’s rights, transgenic materials (GMOs), copyright, e-commerce, biotechnology and anti-counterfeit work. In particular, he obtains protection of trademarks, service marks, collective marks, certification marks, industrial designs, patents, utility models and plant breeder’s rights locally and/or regionally at ARIPO including advising on international protection at the WIPO level. He advises also on licensing and franchising, domain names, know-how and intellectual property rights transfer agreements, prosecuting and/or defending infringement, passing off, expungement and opposition proceedings on trademarks, industrial designs, patents, utility models, plant breeders’ rights and copyright. His clients primarily consist of companies in the fields of pharmaceutical, design packaging, telecommunication, beauty products and other general consumer goods, research and educational institutions, publishing and media, construction, sports, musical and entertainment, amongst others.
- Advising on the merits of filing actions on infringement and/or expungement of trade marks, industrial designs, patent, copyright and plant breeders rights, filing and prosecuting such proceedings.
- Advising on passing off of unregistered trade marks, unregistered industrial designs and trading/corporate names, filing and prosecuting such passing off actions.
- Advising on licensing and regulatory requirements on movement of and confined field trials and commercialization of transgenic materials (GMOS).
- Advising extensively on the forms and scope of liability systems and regulatory requirements with specific regard to GMO.
- Advising companies on unathourised use of names of celebrities (image rights) on product advertising or endorsement.
- Advising companies on the procedure and requirements of seizure of counterfeit goods by relevant government authorities.
- Advising on the requirements and procedures of de-registering and re-possessing misappropriated domain name(s).
- Advising on remedies available for unauthorised parallel importation of brand owner’s genuine products by third parties.
- Advising on protection of key features of e-learning platform as a patent and copyright.
- Advising companies on protection of regulatory data to secure marketing authorization for plant protection products.
- Securing protection of commercial articles of various types as industrial design.
- Defending proceedings before the IP Tribunal to revoke industrial design registrations for various clients.
- Securing patent protection in Kenya and ARIPO region for various local and multinational clients.
- Advising on the merits and requirements of taking design infringement proceedings against third parties in the High Court and acting on settlement negotiations.
- Acting in oppositions before the Patent Office against the registration of industrial designs.
- Advising on patentability of various types of inventions and prior art searches.
- Advising on and acting on oppositions against registration of trade marks before the Registrar of Trade Marks.
- Co-authoring a manual under the title of “Intellectual Property Law in Kenya.”