- Law Society of Kenya
- International Bar Association
- International Commission of Jurists
- Institute of Certified Public Secretaries of Kenya
- Commonwealth Law Association
- Advocate – High court of Kenya
- Commissioner for Oaths
- Notary Public
- Kenya School of Law – Bar Qualifying Examinations
- University of Nairobi, Kenya: LLB Honours
Rachel Mbai is a Kenya Advocate, Commissioner of Oaths and Notary Public. After admission as an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya, she joined Kaplan & Stratton in 1991. Her work encompasses property acquisition/disposal and development, property laws, property finance and loan securities and private client work. The 2014 entry of The Chambers and Partners Guide to the World’s Leading Lawyers states: the “very highly rated” Rachel Mbai is a well-known name in the real estate sector, and frequently acts on leasing and conveyancing matters.
- Acted for a South African corporate entity with a local presence in Kenya in the disposal of its assets in Kenya valued at approximately USD 22.5M – preparation of transaction structural advice and transactional documents.
- Acting for a registered charitable trust with a local presence in Kenya in the disposal of its assets in Kenya valued at approximately USD 12.6M – preparation of transaction structural advice and transactional documents.
- Acted for Overseas Private Investment Corporation, in US$ 9,600,000 project financing for erection of housing complex and assisted in recovery of the loan proceeds (sale of security) including the resultant litigation following default by the borrower.
- Acted for AAR Healthcare Holdings Limited in property due diligence and transaction documents for the acquisition of property on Kiambu Road for construction of a hospital.
- Acted for Quadco Two Hundred and Fifty Four Limited in the leasing of two properties in Ridgeways for the purposes of development of two iconic hospitals, one of which is valued at Kshs. 2 billion, and acquisition of an equity stake.
- Acted for East African Breweries Limited in the sale of 6 Acres of Land at Ruaraka, deal value at $7m
- Acted for IBRD and IFC (World Bank) in the acquisition of its Nairobi headquarters.
- Acted for Africa Reit Limited in the development of residential flats and apartments.
- Acted for the Kenya Power and Lighting Company Limited Staff Retirement Benefits Scheme Registered Trustees – Development of 39 high end residential houses.
- Acting for IFAW, a wildlife conservation client in creation of wildlife corridor; involved 1,620 landowners ceding their land rights for conservation & creation of wildlife corridor.
- Acted for Britam- Purchase of prime real estate for redevelopment, deal value at $3.7m
- Acted for a bank in a Share purchase of prime real estate holding company, deal value at $6.4
- Acted for Kenya Airways Limited in the staff housing scheme.
- Acted for a conservation group in property acquisition.
- Acted for Hass Consult Ltd in the development of Littlewoods residential apartments.
- Acted for Rockefeller – Property due diligence and transaction documents for acquisition of Rockefeller East Africa headquarters.
- Acted for Kenya Airways Limited in the acquisition of properties for expansion of its training centre.
- France Telecom SA. Privatisation of Telkom Kenya Limited.
- Kenya’s largest bank merger. Acting for CFC Bank (NSE listed) in its merger with Stanbic Bank Africa.
- LPG Joint Venture – Mombasa, Kenya Petroleum Refineries.
- Acquisition of 80% of ABB Tanelec Tanzania by Transcentury Limited – Project Cedar Wood.
- Acted for Kenya Red Cross in sale of property in Nairobi and purchase of property in Mandera.
- Acted for Trustees in acquisition of property for Beneficiaries.
- Acted for Kenya Airways Limited in the acquisition of a property for its training centre.